The Nolans Project will deliver significant stakeholder benefit to the local Alice Springs region, the Northern Territory and Australia during both the construction and the operations phases.
These benefits and opportunties will come from:
- Local contracting and procurement
- Local training and employment
- Fostering more private investment
- Creating more jobs in the region
- Supporting a more skilled workforce
- More Indigenous Territorians in jobs and running businesses
- Increased number and size of businesses
- An average of five per cent growth rate in Gross Territory Product
- Increased trade in the region
Territory Benefits Plan
Arafura has engaged with the local community since the project began which has enabled the development of the project’s Territory Benefit Plan.
At its core, the Territory Benefit Plan presents Arafura’s commitments and engagement strategies to enable and maximise the potential benefits to the local community and wider Northern Territory economy.
Local and Indigenous Training and Employment
Planning and Construction Phases
Together with contractors, Arafura has committed to:
- Providing employment opportunities to Australians
- Achieving, with the aim of surpassing, employment targets for local and Indigenous workforce participation
- Maximising training, recruitment and retention of locals and local Indigenous people
In addition to the Construction Phase commitments, Arafura has committed to:
- Creating culturally appropriate training and development pathways for local and Indigenous people to take up employment opportunities in the Project
– Graduate development program
– School based traineeships and apprenticeships
– Vocational education and training in schools
- Maximising long-term career opportunities for local and Indigenous people, across generations and over the full life of the Project
Local and Indigenous Business Participation
Arafura has examined the contracting opportunities which will be made available during the planning and construction phases of the Project and, with the assistance of the Northern Territory Government, identified realistic targets for both local and Indigenous business participation.
Arafura will utilise the services of ICN-NT to assist in the engagement, support and development of Northern Territory local, Indigenous and non-Indigenous businesses throughout all phases of the Project.